Universtiy of Miami Miller School of Medicine Graduate Studies

Withdraw Policy

Withdrawals, either from individual courses or from a graduate program, should be processed through the Office of Graduate Studies. Students who wish to officially withdraw from joint or dual degree programs should consult the offices of both disciplines. The date of withdrawal is that on which the student notifies the office of the dean or the date of receipt of a letter requesting withdrawal.

No withdrawal from the university is official until the student has consulted with the appropriate dean of their school and has completed the necessary forms.

Students wishing to officially withdraw from the University of Miami must provide the Office of the Registrar notification of their intent to withdraw. Initial notification may be made in person, in writing, by fax, or by telephone. This notification will be recorded and used for notification purposes for the federal government. Repayment of any federal funds will be based on the date of notification.

Students must also follow the required process as set forth by their school / college for withdrawing from courses. This process often requires that a signature from a dean or the dean’s representative be obtained on a Change of Course form. Change of Course forms must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar for final processing/review.

In addition to the completion of the Change of Course form, students will be asked to complete a Withdrawal Checklist and a Withdrawing Student Survey. The Withdrawal Checklist provides students with a series of offices that need to be notified concerning their withdrawal.

Military Withdrawal

Tuition refunds of 100% are granted to students who withdraw due to military service, provided they do not receive credit for the course.

If you receive federal financial aid and withdraw before you complete 60% of the semester, a pro rate calculation will determine the amount of financial aid you have earned. It is based on the amount of time you were enrolled. This calculation is independent of any charges incurred at the university.